All fields are required.NEWPORT BEACH 2015 CONSIGNMENTS
CONTACT A CONSIGNMENT SPECIALIST
Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale June 5th – 7th, 2015 at Russo and Steele’s 3rd Annual Newport Beach California Auction. Please contact us for more information.
Produced in August 1929 and shipped new to California, this Model A Coupe remained there until it was purchased in May 2010 from the second owner’s family. At that time, it was a stock and rust-free, but didn’t stay that way for long.
The body was carefully removed from the frame and set aside, as was the engine, transmission, and all running gear. The frame was updated by installing a Heidtâ€™s Super Ride independent front suspension, complete with Wilwood 4-piston disc brakes. Stainless-steel brake lines were used throughout. Working back, the frame rails were boxed with an X-member installed. All frame crossmembers were replaced with new metal. A narrowed and â€œZâ€™dâ€ Heidtâ€™s assembly replaced the rear-frame section. Rear underpinnings include a triangulated 4-link rear suspension and coil springs. Rack-and-pinion steering completes the chassis modifications.
The wizards at H & H Flatheads in La Crescenta, California built the engine. This completely balanced and blueprinted full-race supercharged 1952 Ford engine displaces 284 cubic inches and has all new SCAT internals. The supercharger manifold and blower were sourced from Roadrunner Engineering in New Mexico. This engine has not been run on a dynamometer, but it is quite similar to one built and tuned by Roadrunner to 336 horsepower. The transmission is a Ford AOD 4-speed overdrive automatic coupled with a Currie 3.73:1 9-inch rear end to provide comfortable 70-mph cruising at just 2,200 RPM. Other features include 16-inch chrome spoke wire wheels from Wheel Wright and a Walker aluminum radiator with 2-speed electric fan and shroud. Adjustable thermostats independently control the cooling fan.
The interior handsomely trimmed in leather and matching fabrics, including the trunk. Don Geisen of Geisenâ€™s Auto Interiors did the stitching as his final project before retirement. The seat frame, bolsters, foam, and sliders are from Glide Engineering. Lumbar supports are included, controlled by a button on the seat side. The steering wheel was a rare find, being an accessory sold by Ford dealers in the early 1950s. It was reduced to 16-inch diameter and re-cast in period-correct Ivory. At the same time, the supplier, Quality Systems, cast the shift, turn, tilt, and flasher knobs in the same material. Guages are by VDO, with dual temperature gauges. A toggle switch below the light switch selects the high/low beam halogen headlights
The all-steel body remains stock overall with subtle modifications. The original rumble seat was converted to a trunk, the original gas tank was replaced by a 17-gallon Rock Valley stainless-steel tank mounted behind the seats. A fuel shut-off resides behind the passenger seat, and an electric fuel pump is mounted under the floor, with stainless-steel fuel lines used throughout. Finally, a steel panel replaced the original fabric roof panel. The craftsmen at South County Auto Body in Lake Forest, California ensured an arrow-straight body before the car was finished in Mercedes-Benz Metallic Silver, complemented by tasteful pin striping by Jeff Styles.