All fields are required.MONTEREY 2015 CONSIGNMENTS
Click on the Links BelowCONTACT A CONSIGNMENT SPECIALIST
Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale WITHOUT RESERVE and SOLD to the highest bidder August 13 – 15, 2015 at Russo and Steele’s 15th Annual Monterey, California Auction. Please contact us for more information.
From humble beginnings in 1948 when the first Porsche, designated 356/2, emerged from a converted sawmill in Gmünd, Austria to April 1965, when Type 356 production ceased, more than 70,000 examples had been manufactured. Featuring sleek and distinctive bodywork designed by Erwin Komenda, the 356 was spearheaded by Ferry Porsche, the son of Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, with the entire Porsche 356 production run characterized by a spirit of constant and never-ending improvement, a company hallmark that continues today. As a result, the 356 was a consistent winner on both the sales floor and the racetrack, where the small but mighty Porsche was a true “giant-killer,” easily able to out-brake, out-handle, and out-last many more powerful competitors.
A prime case in point of the inherent excellence of the basic 356 design was the 356B, which debuted at Frankfurt in September 1959 with the new T-5 body style, while available engine options remained unchanged. The many updates heralded by the 356B were far more than skin deep, however. In the pages of Christophorus, Porsche’s official magazine, Ferry Porsche stated, “When we do change something, we don’t just make small alterations, following the dictates of fashion.” Continuing, he said “our refinements – and sometimes these are very numerous – are very often invisible ones. The engine, the road-holding, the safety, and the driving comfort: these things above all are the goal towards which we strive.” Body design continued to progress with the introduction of the refined and updated T-6 style for 1962, which continued in use through the end of 356-model production in 1965. Main T-6 features included twin engine-cover grilles for improved cooling, relocation of the fuel-filler door to the right front fender, and a squared-off boot lid up front.
Numbered 118100, this 1600 Normal-powered 1962 Porsche 356B Coupe is accompanied by a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity and it was equipped new with optional Aluminum side moldings, chrome wheels, and armrests. The current owner acquired the Porsche approximately five years ago and commissioned its complete restoration, with the body refinished in distinctive Auratium Green, a very rare Porsche color, which is handsomely complemented by Light Tan upholstery. Virtually flawless in presentation and reported by the owner to run beautifully to match, it marks a definitive and highly collectible and enjoyable Porsche classic in every sense!