All fields are required.MONTEREY 2017 CONSIGNMENTS
CONTACT A CONSIGNMENT SPECIALIST
Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale August 17th – 19th, 2017 at Russo and Steele’s 17th Annual Monterey, California Auction. Please contact us for more information.
This striking 1992 Ferrari 512 TR is, according to actual Ferrari factory records, one of just two factory US spec prototypes and based on the vin sequence, this one is the first of these pre-production cars.
The 512 TR was introduced in 1992 as a completely re-engineered mid-engine 12 cylinder improved version of the Ferrari classic, the Testarossa. When comparing it to the Testarossa, you not only find a number of subtle body styling changes but also a slew of major engineering changes making it a distinctively different driving car:
* Redesigned cylinder heads, valve diameters for inlet and exhaust
* Newly designed exhaust manifolds
* A completely redesigned cooling system, including radiators and engine cooling passageways
* Camshaft was re-profiled for a much broader power curve
* Integrated electronic fuel injection system and ignition (Bosch Motronic 2.7) with self-diagnostic capabilities, and with ECU located in the cockpit
* Better overall fuel economy and lower emissions
* Double independent submergible fuel pumps
* Ferrari engineers improved intake manifolds making them longer and straighter
* Internally, the engine increased compression ratios from 9.3:1 to 10.1:1
* Horsepower was boosted from 380 to 428 bhp
* Torque increased from 354 lbft to 361 lbft
* Vehicle weight reduced 40kg (88lbs)
* Limited slip differential (40%) with reduced axial thrust to increase reliability
* Larger front and rear cross drilled discs: front 315mm x 32mm; rear 310 mm x 28mm
* Aluminum calipers with larger pistons: front 44/40mm; rear: 40/36mm
* Front wheels increased from 16″ to 8″ x 18″ with 235/40 ZR 18 tires
* Rear wheels increased from 16″ to 10.5″ x 18″ with 295/35 ZR 18 tires.
* Top speed increased to 195 mph
* Clutch and trans were improved
* Chassis rigidity improved
* Suspension completely redesigned markedly improving handling
* Engine mounted 1″ lower making the overall CG lower
* New steering column design allowing more room in the driver’s foot well
* Steering system was improved with a new steering rack with longer arms, a more direct ratio, and a better steering moment offset
* Interior completely redesigned allowing more foot and knee space, and better seating comfort.
The 4943 cc flat V12 that is longitudinally mounted and produced 428 horsepower with a top speed of 195 mph, 0-62 time of only 4.8 seconds and a quarter mile of 12.8 secs (a full second faster than the Testarossa). Although the 512TR retained most of the Testarossa’ iconic external design features, the interior was completely redesigned and upgraded. The Ferrari 512 TR was produced for only three years with 2261 manufactured.
This Ferrari 512 TR was acquired by the consignor in August of 2008 with 14,614 miles showing. The interesting ownership history of this Ferrari 512TR is known from new. It is complete with books and records as well as tools and jack and a 6 disc stereo system.
Though the VIN plate indicates the car was built in May of 1991 as a 1992 vehicle, the serial number was some 300 units earlier than the first serial number at start of production. This car was specifically noted in Ferrari recall summary letter from Ferrari North America, dated 28 Jun 1995, as the first one of only two prototypes of Ferrari 512TR USA spec cars.
All the annual maintenance for this Ferrari has always religiously been completed including an engine out belt replacement that was accomplished at 15,301 miles. The car is in original and excellent condition with a Rosso Corsa exterior and Nero interior. A common Ferrari interior sticky rubber problem was taken care of with new rubber parts. A set of Schedoni black 512 leather luggage goes with the car.
The car runs extremely well and displays the typical mild wear patina on the driver side leather bolster, which is the only evidence of the cars mileage. Otherwise, the car is in excellent condition. It shows extremely well and is an eye turner whenever driven. The Ferrari 512 TR continues to excite Ferrari enthusiasts with its unique and iconic design and has recently been rapidly appreciating. An exciting opportunity to acquire a rare and extremely desirable legendary Ferrari in excellent condition.